We Got A Kitten!

After months of researching which Cat breeds suited families with young children the best, we settled on the Ragdoll. I spent weeks trolling through sites such as Preloved and Pets4Homes before finding a breeder that I thought was a perfect fit for us.

We contacted them and were ecstatic to hear that a litter was due and we reserved a Kitten! We were so excited at the prospect of finally owning a Cat. Something that was very new to me. I've only ever owned one Cat in my life and he was called Blue.

Blue was a naughty Kitten who had taken to clawing out the black foam that keeps your windows insulted. My mother decided enough was enough and rehomed Blue to my auntie. Unfortunately, he didn't last long with my Auntie as he decided he would much rather live on his own. He went out and never came back.. Or so that's what my Mum told me!

Anyway, Kyle had owned a stray cat named Puddy. He was a loving Stray who would follow Kyle's sister home after School. They slowly began to 'adopt' him and he moved in with them. They had him for around 6 years when the builders came to fit the Kitchen for Kyle's parents. We think something happened with the builders as Puddy was never fond of coming back into the house after that. Did they hurt him? Who knows, but Puddy decided to move out. He then resided in the care home across the street from where Kyle's parents lived. The Elderly folk there adored him! Kyle didn't know about this until he actually got a job at said Care Home and discovered Puddy curled up in an elderly man's lap!

Anyway, moral of that story is... well, there isn't one? I've just never had a real encounter with owning a Cat and now was the time.

I received a message from the Breeder telling us that the litter had been miscarried. We were DEVASTATED. This was something that couldn't of been avoided. It was meant to happen, and so it did. We then jumped back onto the net and searched for a new litter of Kittens.

Then we found them. The perfect, fluffiest Kittens.

I jumped in my car and drove us 20 miles to Sheffield where we met a lovely woman and her kittens. She had around 3 sets of Kittens to chose between, but we went with the eldest of the lot. Which... included Astrid! The breeder told us that she had the perfect companion for us. One that had stood out from the rest. A Kitten that would curl up in her lap whilst she watched the evening soaps. I knew instantly that she was the one we would be taking home that day. Isn't she adorable?


Astrid said her goodbyes to her owner and her Mum. It was kinda emotional knowing she'd never see her mum again. Her Mum was a majestic Seal Ragdoll. I'm curious to see if Astrid looks like that when she's older!

We popped her into a blanket and ran back to our car. Next stop, Lizzie & Joel's. We'd previously told them to prepare for cuteness (they knew we were picking up a Kitten). They were amazed at how cute she was. Even Buddy came and had a sniff! I put Astrid on the floor and her first port of call? She ran under Lizzie and Joel's Sofa Bed. An extremely HEAVY Sofa bed may I add. So we spent a good 10 minutes trying to coax her out with Cat treats before we gave in and had to lift up the sofa to rescue her. My friend Joe took lots of photos of Astrid and the results were amazing!

So yes, we got a Kitten and she's the best thing ever. I am now 100% a Cat person. They're just so easy, and come toilet trained! I LOVE THEM. I can totally see myself becoming a crazy cat lady and owning 100 though.. Please don't let that happen...


See 'We Got a Kitten' for the vlog of that day.

3 comments